Delaware County Master Gardener's Website

Delaware County Master Gardener's Website
click here to view upcoming events and more info at our website!

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Propagation Equation

I've never been a wizard when it comes to propagating new plants from cuttings. But that hasn't stopped me from always trying. I've had some success--hydrangeas and elderberries--and some rather massive failures: everything else. 
Determined to change my luck, last week I asked my friend for a few cuttings from her many gorgeous roses she's collected over about 30 years. 
This rose, a grandiflora, named 'Heart o' Gold' is hard to track down. I love the large bicolor blooms. I also took cuttings from 'Queen Elizabeth II' and an unidentified hot pink blooming shrub. 
The cuttings were taken at points with 5 leaves. They were dipped in rooting hormone and are in a soil mix of 1/2 sand and 1/2 Holy Cow (cured compost and manure). To keep humidity very high, I created a microclimate with tall vases used as cloches. I gave each cutting a tug this morning, and I think they have rooted! Here's to hoping!
Do you have experience propagating roses? Any tips to share?
Stephen Jones 
Delaware County Master Gardener 

No comments:

Post a Comment