Delaware County Master Gardener's Website

Delaware County Master Gardener's Website
click here to view upcoming events and more info at our website!

Monday, September 10, 2012

Use it or lose it!


After the much-enjoyed cool down in our weather this week, I really started to switch gears and think about the holidays! Hard to believe but they will be here before we know it.  Because the holiday season is such a busy one, I try to prepare as much ahead of time as possible.  Taking advantage of my overflowing herb garden now will save me a lot of time and money at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It drives me crazy how expensive herbs are at the grocery store!  I make it in small very concentrated batches, and can always dilute it to make more when I use it. Hoping your herbs are still active and not frosted until Thanksgiving is quite a gamble, sometimes it works out. I prefer to have a sure bet.

The great things about this project are: no rules, no measurements, and it is so easy.  I use sage, rosemary, thyme, and basil.

Wash and dry your herbs (I use my salad spinner)

Add to blender or food processor with enough olive oil for the mixture to blend easily

Add two sticks of softened butter and combine

Add to air-tight freezer container, and cover with plastic wrap on the surface of the mixture.

And don’t forget to label! Take it from someone who has put unmarked containers in the freezer thinking “there’s no way I wouldn’t know what this is!” and later having no idea what it is.

 
Stephen Jones
Delaware County Master Gardener
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment